1 December 2009

200, v2: Museum of Everything




I’ve been entertaining a couple of friends over the weekend on their trip to London, suggesting things to see and do in a couple of days and get the best experience. And I found myself in a curious position of advising them to go see the Museum of Everything instead of their planned trip to the British Museum.

I’m not sure if my advice was good or appropriate, but it was definitely sincere. I don’t think the Parthenon marbles are going anywhere anytime soon, or any of the other cultural treasures of immense value, that are safely locked up in that somber institution. But what we get in this museum is a slice of today through eyes of some peculiar people.

But what were my friends going to say on their return? “We went to see some random stuff in a makeshift gallery that we could have seen anywhere else”? But that is exactly the point. It does exactly what it says on the box, and swoops up items from backyards of eccentrics from around the globe. And what you get in return is a conceptual frolic across the meadows of Silly.

I’m not sure that outweighs the Marbles, but it sure is fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment